Block of the Month – Wonky Log Cabin.
It is December and that means it is time for a new block! Can you believe that we are on the fifth block already? This month is a variation on a log cabin block, it is fairly easy and quick which is great for sewing project in the busy holiday season! As a special treat for this month I have given you two variations of the block – you can pick which one you would like to do or make them both, it is up to you!
Various width strips of your fabric
- Pick a small piece of fabric for the center of your cabin (Note – this piece does not have to be square, it is fine for it to be a rectangle or even a little angular).
- Take a strip of fabric and sew it to one side of your piece from step 1. Press open and trim
- Sew the same color to next side of your inner piece of fabric, press and trim.
- Continue to work your way around the inner piece until it has a strip on each side. Note that the strips you add do not need to be the same width on each side!
- OPTIONAL: Doing this step will give your the tilted variation of the block, skipping it will give you the more square version of the block. Using a Ruler cut off some of sides at an angle so that the block no longer square.
- Repeat steps 2 – 5 with your block, expanding it outward until it is a 12.5” square. Note – it is okay to go a little over the 12.5” you will trim it.
- Trim your square to 12.5”.
Need to catch up on previous month’s blocks? You can find them all here.